Monday, January 20, 2014

Happy Birthday Super Nana!


As a mother, I am constantly finding myself mentally comparing myself to my own mom.  I cringe now and then when I say things that are identical to what she once hollered at me.   For a majority of my life, I have been in awe of her, aside from your typical teenage embarrassment crap.  Which I have to admit, I now feel a bit sheepish over.  With confidence I can say that my mother safeguarded my older brother’s heart, and mine with all her might.  As a mom now, I realize there is no question to the sacrifices you make for your children.  You just make them, no hesitation.


My mom was admittedly the young and cool mom.  A woman who taught me that life is too short to mince words and to be honest with myself and to others.  She on many a night taught me how to dance to the tune of Jerry Garcia, Starship or Hall and Oats.  She taught me the art of the maternal instinct, whether it be catching me climbing in my bedroom window, or knowing that I was going to be sick in the middle of the night.   A woman who knew something was bothering me before I did, and still does.  A woman who worked her ass off for two kids and was for a long time both our mother and our father.


Over the last three years my mother has shown me a new layer to her love as a grandmother.  It still amazes me the love she has to give.  Every time that my little man spends quality time at the Lutz Farm he is bursting with joy and stories of how he did this or that.  To have my child spend the day with my mother and then catch her eye, I feel and know how keenly she loves us both, can take my breath away. 


To you my beautiful mother and best friend on your 59th birthday (and of course wedding anniversary to my sweet Daddy Dan) – We love you and cherish you.  You are the first person I think of when I am bursting with someone to talk to, vent to or just to see how you are.  I couldn’t imagine any key moment in my life in which you weren’t a part.  Dust off your shoulder to another year and be proud of who you are, which is amazing.  






1 comment: