Thursday, January 24, 2013

Days of Blood & Starlight went BOOM!


Days of Blood & Starlight
By, Laini Taylor








“Once upon a time, an angel and a devil held a wishbone between them.

And it snap split the world in two.”








With those simple words, I was sucker-punched into the second installment for Laini Taylor’s Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy.  Last year when I picked up The Daughter of Smoke and Bone I enjoyed the beauty of Prague and Marrakesh, was fascinated by this strange girl with blue hair and these monsters she called her family, but I didn’t close the pages and say “boom.”   I said many things at the end of the Days of Blood and Starlight, starting with "Oh good there's a map", and ending with quite a bit of gasping and heavy breathing.

I realized that 75% of the way through it would be a 5 star for me.  I’m still trying to process the final decisions made by Karou our epic heroine.  Plot twist seems a bit mild to express what happens as a result to her decisions at the end of this devastating book.

It seems a common reaction for me with the first installments of fantasy world to feel the intrigue and enjoy the novel, but the sequel holds the guts to the story. It’s not like you visit a friends now home and tell them, “My! Your foundation is really spectacular!”   Foundations are tedious things, and essential, but it really is just that, but what people enjoy in an aesthetic sense is the architecture.  I can officially say, I’m in love with this series and may even re-think my original rating on the first.  I’m proud of fellow Portlandian Laini Taylor, and I’ll keep my eye out for her pink hair in Powell’s. Not to stalk, but just to do a smidge of fan-girl gushing. 

As always with a new series I tear through, the next installment seems immensely far away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment