Friday, October 18, 2013

30 Day Book Challenge (Days 14 to 18)

Day 14 – Book turned Movie and completely desecrated


Season Two of True Blood, HBO aka Sookie Stackhouse


I have obviously cheated, because this is a television show. True Blood stepped completely off the reservation in season two. There are so many things bizarre and completely off the plot in this season, I don’t know where to begin. I’ll just sum it up in one word – 
Maryann
Was that even necessary?

Granted, the Sookie Stackhouse books are not exactly Pulitzer worthy, so I’m not entirely offended by the HBO series. We can at least be entertained by their mouth-watering casting (*ahem*Eric Northman*cough*).


Day 15 – Favorite Male Character

James Alexander Malcolm Fraser Outlander Series, By Diana Gabaldon

A highlander rebel and fugitive with the passion for one woman that last decades.  A loyal soldier, nobleman with the ability to fit in with any crowd.  Dry sense of humor, linguistically inclined, can brew his own whisky, build his own house and love his wife like no man ever has.  He is every middle-aged woman's fantasy, and Starz is going to get an insane boost to their ratings this next year when Sam Heughan attempts to portray Jamie Fraser.  He has his work cut out for him. 

Day 16 – Favorite Female Character

Lyra Belacqua, His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman





Ironically, I was torn on putting The Golden Compass under number 14, books to movies that stunk to high heaven.  But, I"ll admit, it has been a really long time since I watched the movie and coulnd't really provide the needed oomph of negativity.  What I can say is that while watching the movie, I thought, what a fabulous idea for a book.  Low and behold, It was, and then days later I was gorging myself on a facinating story of a young girl trying to make her way to the North with her side-kick, ever changing daemon

Pantalaimon.  I would like to note, I'm fairly confident my daemon would be of the lynx species.  Since Pan is not just Lyra's sidekick, but spiritual essence, he should also be figured into the favorite character equation.  Their fearless tenacity, stubborn drive to make things right and juvenile joy that comes of youth was so lovable, that I had to list them as my favorite "female" character.





Day 17 – Favorite Quote From My Favorite Book



“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” 

– J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Day 18 - A Book That Disappointed Me:

City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments #4), Cassandra Clare



Originally I thought it was surprising that there was another book after City of Glass.  A great segue for a spin-off for Simon, but not to create more drama for Jace and Clary. After reading this I still feel that way. The ending was pretty ridiculous. Obviously I have to commit to reading the next book, but I wasn't thrilled about where Clare was taking the series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment