Saturday, October 26, 2013

Day 26 of 30 Day Book Challenge - A Book that Changed My Opinion About Something

The Parables of Jesus: Red Letter Edition,

The Jesus Seminar


During my final semester of my senior year at a small liberal arts college I took an anthropology course called The New Testament. I figured it would be an insanely easy A being a child who spent her first eight years of education at a Catholic school. What I didn't realize was to take religion down to a anthropological level, beliefs that were always assumed can easily be questioned. Many of those questions began with an incredibly simple under 100 page collaborative manuscript written by gospel scholars on the fundamentals of the few documented spoken words of Jesus Christ.




I have no desire to preach, but I will say that when you interpret the five parables of Jesus, written from four different perspectives, then as students discuss our own interpretations between 25 other individuals the fundamental focus tend to evolve and change.  This class and book humbled me and gave me the ability to question what I had always known.  I pulled that A I was hoping for, but also gained a lifetime of questioning my beliefs as an adult.   

No comments:

Post a Comment